Custom Search

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

rants from Anne's pants -or- seeking inspiration: Part II

WTF - could our souls be more dead? Selling ourselves to foreign investors in some television induced stupor. Obsessing over surgically perfected superstars - the ultimate sales reps - as we get fatter and fatter. How could this happen? We seem to care less and less. WAKE THE FUCK UP!!!!! The message is loud and clear yet so easy to ignore. We consume at a mad pace and can't get enough. Think this doesn't apply to you? You may be "better" than your neighbor and what you call "most people" but chances are you still live in the same pit as "most people" do. Without a radical approach, getting off the grid, growing most if not all of your own food supply, it is simply not possible to not be wasteful. And frankly, most people are trapped in their current economic situation and can't afford to get off the grid. So we have all entered into a contract where we agree to just deal with the fact that waste is inevitable - inefficiency is tolerated if not encouraged, and convenience is king. We are masters at justifying every frivolous purchase we make. This is a slippery slope, my friends.

Well fuck that. I don't want to sound righteous. I am as fucked as the next guy. I'm just looking for a way out, or at least a light at the end of the tunnel. I think what we need, specifically in the arts, is a little more "FUCK YOU" and a little less "please, Sir, can I have another?" I want to wake up. I hope I can. Without a rich culture, I fear we don't stand a chance - and for some inexplicable reason, the arts are grossly underfunded in this country. Artists are forced to sell out in order to pay their mortgages and buy all kinds of shit.... Or just to eat. The result is very commercial, dollar driven art. Arguably, some of that shit is great and I gobble it up with the rest of the hungry masses. And if that is what people want, it would be silly to give them something else, right?

Well drag me down Debbie! Somebody help me! Desperately seeking some good fucking shit to feed to my soul. I am not an artist. But I am an art lover, an art maker, an art nurturer. So to those of you who are really fucking talented, I call on you to create some ballsy shit and I will be here, cheering you on, drinking the spicy nectar you create. I need it. We all need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment